We need a desktop application...almost like the Dropbox or Creative Cloud applications that appear when you click on the icon in the menu tray. Since it will be used by Creative Professionals around the globe, it needs to be a clean design that drives easy adoption.
Our application ( the desktop client for the award-winning free TimeTracker automatic timesheet service) needs to be relatively small, because in most cases users will leave it open (in front of everything else) while they work. So it cannot require too much space.
The primary functionality of this app is to:
(1) Identify the application currently in use (Ex: Word or Photoshop)
(2) Identify the document currently in use (Ex: MyWord.docx)
(3) Display the "project" that has been assigned to the current document
(4) Display the "project ID" for that project
(5) Allow the user to assign a different project (via a pull down list)
The interface needs to be relatively Simple. Clean. Sophisticated/Professional. The application should be relatively subdued, though there should be an effective use of color where appropriate. One example is that each Project has a user-assigned color, so the project name and project ID would be associated with the color.
There should also be a
(6) Share icon so that users can recommend TimeTracker to others
(7) A Gear icon so that a user can change settings.
(8) A simple one-line field for entering a note (This will be user-selectable as 'optional')
See the attached image "TimeTracker wireframe". The other images are provided for inspiration. The color scheme should be black, white, grey and blues.